Saturday, December 17, 2016

hobo jungle 3


down at the edge of town
where the waters run down
down where the weeds grow high
south of the county line
there's something you should know
about somewhere you shouldn't go
and they call it hobo jungle

back when I was a kid 
I remember my mama said
"son, if you don't start walking straight
boy, it will be your fate
you'll wind up just like them
who meet their bitter end
down in hobo jungle"

          I wanted to see
          mom said "no!"
          which made me 
          bound and determined to go
          undermining
          parental law
          trouble is
          I liked what I saw

people not wasting time in school
people making their own rules
people living happy and carefree
people who were not like me
but I knew right then and there
my future would be somewhere
there in hobo jungle

so on graduation day
I knew I had to get away
I packed up my stuff
got on the city bus
got out and hitched a ride
and nervously stepped inside
the place called hobo jungle

          now, I was scared 
          to talk to them
          but they up and 
          welcomed me in
          a cuppa joe
          espresso strong
          I felt like I belonged

now it's my home sweet home
out here in the great unknown
living where living's not too hard
far from my mama's yard
happy as a proverbial clam
being exactly who I am
down in hobo jungle
down in hobo jungle
down in hobo jungle


No comments:

Post a Comment