Friday, December 2, 2016

hobo jungle (rewrite)


down at the edge of town
where the river runs down
where tumbleweeds blow by
just south of the county line
there's something you should know
about where you shouldn't go
and they call it hobo jungle

back when I was a kid 
I remember my mama said
"son, if you don't walk the narrow and straight
boy, it will be your fate
to wind up like those men
whose dreams come to an end
down in hobo jungle"

          I wanted to visit
          mom said "no!"
          which made me 
          bound and determined to go
          underage
          ignoring the law
          the trouble is
          I liked what I saw

people not wasting time in school
people making their own rules
people laughing, fun and free
people who were not like me
and I knew right then and there
my future's lies somewhere
and I think it's hobo jungle

          the years flew by
          but I kept in mind
          the fate I hoped to fond
          soon my eighteenth birthday came
          and I went on my way

and now it's my home sweet home
out here in the great unknown
living where living's not too hard
far from my father's yard
and I'm happy as a clam
being exactly who I am
down in hobo jungle
down in hobo jungle
down in hobo jungle


No comments:

Post a Comment