Thursday, July 19, 2012

I need to fuckin' hear them


Hard day?


Yeah. They're all hard. And I'm saying that with some objectivity. Had problems sleeping. Became immobile until I fuckin' forced myself to get up and grab the guitar and work on this song I've been working on. Which, by the way, I am extremely glad about. I think I showed it to you, "Love Lives On."


Yes, I remember, farmboy. I liked it. It's pretty positive, and I'm glad you're digging inside and  finding some optimism. I'm a little surprised, being that you've been depressed.


You know, I was thinking about this commencement speech that David Foster Wallace made at Kenyon University in Ohio. It's called "This is Water." It's very, very well written, of course, and there's a lot of wisdom in it. Well, at one point I thought "What does he know? He committed suicide..."


I know. He had a history of major depression.


Well, then I thought maybe he's telling himself stuff he's needed to know. My new song's kinda like that -- if, in fact, that's even true. I mean, I'm projecting here...


That's all right. Go on...


I think...I know that's what I'm doing and have done with some songs, man. I've written them because I need to fuckin' hear them, I need to tell myself what I'm saying in those songs. That's the wonderful thing about writing songs.


That's the wonderful thing about art, farmboy. Among many wonderful things.


Yeah, it's pretty amazing, man. I feel very fortunate, very blessed that I have music in my life.


That's why you were born, farmboy. To write songs and to give and receive love. In other words, to do good work. To fight the good fight.


That's what I try to do, man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment