Tuesday, July 24, 2012

unemployment line


this is what I do
this is how the day begins
I get up out of bed
and I go back in again 
in time I make the coffee
wait for the mail to come
worry about money
feel like a bum 
don't matter what I do
I'm always left behind  
don't matter where I go
it's the unemployment line


fill out applications
update the resume
ignore the rejections
but they just won't go away
climbing through the classifieds
cry about craigslist
think of opportunities
that don't come
or that I've missed
tell myself that all good things
will come to me in time
but I'm lying to myself
in the unemployment line


          patron saint of all lost causes
          I could use you now
          I need all the intervention
          heaven will allow


all those soul-sucking jobs
I'd be glad for one today
one with health insurance
and maybe halfway decent pay
but no one can pay me back
for all the time I've lost
my disappearing confidence
has more than paid the cost
a chance to earn a paycheck
that rightfully is mine
it's just another day
in the unemployment line
it's just another day...



No comments:

Post a Comment