Saturday, October 1, 2016

timing


I got my timing all wrong
I should have been born
a few decades later
when the effects
of psychiatric medications
were greater
I'd throw all those fuckin' feelings
in an old incinerator
and watch them burn, burn, burn

I got my timing all wrong
I should have been born
when schools were less frantic
when the only things that would
throw administrations in a panic
we're students coming in
who were African-American or Hispanic
here to learn, learn, learn

          you gotta grease that squeaky wheel
          strike when the iron's hot
          you got to give it everything you can
          with everything you're not

I got my timing all wrong
I should've taken every drug
I could in high school
maybe then 
someone might have noticed me
but nobody knew
nobody knew
I was invisible then
now I'm trying something new
this court's adjourned, adjourned
but I'm still the one that's guilty

to every season...

and a time for every purpose


No comments:

Post a Comment