Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kinda normal life


Today has been so interesting. I think I was beginning to feel down...

You think?

Okay, okay. As I was saying, I didn't feel too good. I was feeling worthless and lazy and "other-people-have-good-things-happen-to-them-and-I-don't" self-pitying. And I turned it around.

How?

I went to the park and walked around. I sat for a while and did some deep breathing. Then I came home and read some of the Louis Armstrong biography I'm reading. The I put a chicken in the oven and watched part one of "This Emotional Life," this PBS documentary series. And I ate fruit today and had two servings of vegetables via vegetable juice. And exercised. And this was accomplished without being high. I did have some blueberries under the influence, though.

So it turned into a good day and I'm proud of myself.

Good for you. I'm proud of you, too. Good job, farmboy.

Hey, thanks.

So, tell me about what you've been learning.

I love learning.

I know. That's one of the things that drives you.

Louis Armstrong, man, what a hero. This is an amazing biography. I think it's written by a guy named Terry Teachout, he's like theater critic for the Washington Post or something. He a great writer. It's really pretty inspiring. And, think, he was a pothead! But, most of all, he was a musical innovator. I mean, he was the musical innovator. This is a really good book.

I also really liked the first part of "This Emotional Life." It was long, though. I probably should have stopped it after the "friends" segment. And, say, thing of "friends," did I tell you that in the joint I played in last night, there was an autographed photo of Jennifer Aniston in the men's room?

Seriously?

Seriously. I play all the class joints. I'm like fuckin' Sinatra in Vegas.

So, anyway, "This Emotional Life"?

I learned a lot, and a lot of it was really fascinating. It's a good show for me to watch. Plus, it was, like, two hours away from the fuckin' internet.

What's up for tomorrow?

I think I'm going to go see my niece and print up some bios, work on "Snow." Practice a song for the Songwriter's night at my favorite venue here in town.

So no conflicts today?

Nothin' I need to address right now. Amazing, huh? But it's not dramatic or anything, it's just kinda normal life, you know what I mean?

I'm not sure I do.

It's what you kinda do, or should do, every day. You go for a walk, you eat fruits and vegetables, you play guitar, you learn something. I like that it hasn't been this knock-out day, just, you know, a day...

Where you did things. Where you turned around what might have been a bad situation, emotionally speaking.

See, I can do that every day. If I'm not under that dark cloud of fuckin' depression or anxiety or whatever emotional problem has worked its little way into my brain.

You chose not to be under that cloud today, farmboy.

(pause) Yeah. Yeah, I did. Didn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment