Thursday, March 4, 2010

Someone on my side


Remember the last time we talked and you made up a verse right on the spot?

Yeah?

I thought I should tell you that you should do that whenever you want. I think that's good for you.

How so?

You need to get as much validation as you can for being a songwriter. That's what you do. So the more you do it...

Tell me tell you, one of the reasons I play guitar as much as I do -- not that I play guitar that much, but I aim for three times, three periods a day -- is because it gives me this hope, you know, the feeling like I'm working on stuff. It gives me a sense of purpose and a sense of worth.

I make up a lot of tunes, instrumentals on the guitar. I improvise a lot. I would really like to learn to play with words as much as I do with music. I used to a lot when I was younger, and I still do sometimes.

So I make up a lot of silly things, you know. I have a niece, she's, like, three and a half. I'll make up silly songs around her. I makie up songs at work. Generally nothing serious, but...I agree with you, I should do it more. Anything I do, creative-wise, is pretty cool in my opinion and should be encouraged.

Hey, you ever do anything creative, man?

I interview talented and smart people.

Oooh, good answer, good answer.

It's true.

You know, you're a good guy. You don't have to say nice things to me.

Why not?

Oh, man, I'm just keeping it light. I mean, we can just talk, you know. It doesn't always have to be about me and all my many emotional problems and my tragic past. It can be about you, too.

But that's not why I'm here.

Okay. Whatever. But I just want you to know that I can listen, too. And you can tell me stuff, too, if you want.

I appreciate that.

I'm serious, man. Give me a chance some time to be your friend, too.

That says a lot about you.

It's not about me, goddamnit. Stop bringing it back to me.

Okay. I'll just say thanks.

You're welcome.

Thanks for saying that I'm a good guy. I do appreciate it.

I'm serious. You are a good guy. (pauses) I like talking with you. I even like it when you give me a hard time sometimes. (pauses) It's good to have someone on my side. Thanks.

You're welcome, farmboy.

Oh, man, this is pathetic. We're just getting fuckin' sappy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment