Monday, March 22, 2010

Times are fuckin' tough


Well, I went out and was social tonight. And I was the featured act at an open mike, so I played.

Excellent. This is a good way to spend your Monday of spring break. How was it?

I sang well. I could tell. I've become so much more aware of rhythm when I'm performing, and that's a good thing. I realize that part of my passion, my desire, is that I want to be professional. And by that, I don't mean anything to do with money. I want to do things right, you know?

A certain kind of standard?

Exactly. An old friend of mine once told me that he has a "bottom line" for his life. He does not go below the bottom line. And that's how I want to be as a musician and a performer. You're assured of a certain quality when I work in music. That's what I'm striving for.

I hate to ask you this...

(sighs) Go the fuck ahead.

Did you make any money?

No. Not even a free cup of fuckin' coffee. I sold no CDs. Man, I could have really used some sales, you know? But I know better than to expect to make any money at an open mike. I felt bad for this one guy, an older gentleman who played harmonica and guitar. I really got the feeling that he needed that money he hoped to make in CD sales. And I don't think he sold a single one.

Times are tough.

Times are fuckin' tough. I am so worried about summer...

Can you take that worry and put it aside for a while? So you can think of some kind of action you can take. Not just plans, but action.

Oh, yeah, make copies of the new one-sheet, get those demos, and give stuff to the churches I want to play at.

There are other actions, too. Cleaning your apartment...

Yeah. Exercising. (laughs) Eating fruits and vegetables. Playing guitar. Writing. Now the hard part is getting focused. I think like this: I'm raking the leaves and at the same time I'm yelling at myself for being such a shithead because, oh, look, over there, doesn't that lawn have to be mowed right now?

One thing at a time, farmboy.

I know. One thing at a fuckin' time.


No comments:

Post a Comment