Thursday, October 14, 2010

I mean, like, real sadness


Hey, man, I got the new Sufjan Stevens CD today.

I don't know him. Should I?

He's really great. He's real ambitious. He can break your heart sometimes.

I've seen you do that, farmboy.

I love sadness in songs. I mean, like, real sadness. That's just the best thing in the world. People are always saying that they can't listen to something because it's so depressing. I hate that. You know, one of the things that music is designed for is to comfort you when you're sad, to express that sadness, you know? But instead we're so fuckin' afraid of our sadness. Even in art. Well fuck that.

I mean, I don't want self-pity, I don't want whining. What I want is the expression of feelings and thoughts inside me.

That's what you do.

Yeah. I'm one of the lucky ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment