Saturday, October 2, 2010

Welcome to show business


Farmboy, how was your performance at the coffeehouse last night?

Man, I played well and I was more relaxed than usual...

Usually you're a bundle of nerves, right?

Yeah, I'm a fuckin' bundle of a whole lot of fuckin' nerves, but I was okay, you know. I played and sang well, did all my own songs, but ...you know,I guess my newer stuff would go over better. Seems like, even in my own little world, all anybody really wants to hear is the old stuff.

Welcome to show business, farmboy.

Hey, why do people who are not in show biz always have to tell performers what show biz is?

Sorry.

No, no, you're allowed to. You are the audience, after all.

And you're right. People want to hear what's familiar. And, really, I'm no different. If I go see, say, Al Green, I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't sing "Let's Stay Together" and "Tired of Being Alone." Maybe it sorta surprises me because I'm like this virtually unknown guy with a guitar. I guess in a way that it's a sort of compliment.

I mean, the last thing that I want to do is blame the audience.

You know, I'm glad we're talking about this. 'cause I'm seeing it a little more clearly now. Now it doesn't seem so bad. Thanks.

It's good sometimes to really look at what's really going on.

Yeah, 'cause otherwise I can get lost in my own emotions.

So no cover tunes?

No. I wanted to, but I ended up doing my own stuff. "Cept for, um...

What, farmboy?

I played a little of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," and the audience sang it, then I sang it in this way where you start with the second word on the first note and go from there. It was funny. People liked it. It was during the little lull in the show while tuning was going on.

So, would you say it was a successful night?

Yeah, it was good. It's always good when I'm not terrified and I don't forget the words.



No comments:

Post a Comment