Saturday, October 16, 2010

Threw my head back and fuckin' howled, man!


So, farmboy, how was last night's performance?

It was good, despite being so last minute. I didn't really have any idea of what I was gonna play, or not much of one. It was all very seat-of-the-pants, as a friend of mine would say. I don't really know the reason for that phrase in the performance context, but, you know, there it is. (laughs) Maybe it means I'm just covering my ass.

I sang well, I used the microphone well, I got to be very intimate when I wanted and there were times when was so confident that I backed away from the microphone and threw my head back and fuckin' howled, man! Yep, farmboy the Chicano bluegrass singer. Ay, dios mio!

I can imagine it a little bit. You're a tenor...

Oh, man, believe me, if I could sing like those guys...Make me a mixture of Ralph Stanley and Ricky Skaggs, see if I care. But, you know, I'm not from the South and I didn't grow up playing in a family band at a Baptist church, you know. But I love that style of singing. I wish somebody would tell me I'm good at it, so I could do it more often.

Did it get your mind off your troubles?

A little bit. It was good, I'm glad I did it. If nothing else I got a little money, enough for an eighth of an ounce of weed. So I'm glad.

I know I should put that money towards something else, but it's music money, you know? I'm counting it as extra. At least this month.

I'm happy to hear that you were comfortable enough to sing out.

Yeah, it's surprising to me. Like, I'm doing it and thinking "I'm really doing this." I love that, that taking chances boldly stuff. Man, that is just the fuckin' best.

Boy, I tell you, man, what I really need to do is go on tour for an extended period of time. Or just fuckin' perform for an extended period of time. Get these fuckin' nerves out of my system. 'Cause I can be really good, you know? Last night I was funny, I was serious, people laughed, people were touch. You know, man, I followed this guy who played cello and did a lot of things with loops on his lap top and he had all these wires and things. Which, by the way, I really like. But I decided to go the opposite way, which was to start completely acapella and sing one of my most compassionate and humanistic type songs. And I like that. I love using my performance chops.

Anyway, man, I just looked at the clock and it's time for me to go. I'm going to the coffeehouse to hear an old friend from Southern California play tonight.

Glad the gig went well. Have a great night, farmboy.

You too, man. See ya.



No comments:

Post a Comment