Saturday, October 9, 2010

Still fuckin' learning stuff


Hi, farmboy. Do you know what time it is?

It's 4:35 a.m.

Oh. It's a bad time. I'll come back later.

No, no, that's okay. What's going on in your young life?

Hey, I'm not young. I mean, I'm far from young. Seriously far from young. Old, in fact.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. What brings you here, farmboy? Did something happen?

I fell asleep.

No, nothing happened. It's funny, I just don't like going for too long without getting to talk with you, and I didn't get to talk to you 'cause I fell asleep.

So, how you doin'?

I'm good. I'm enjoying the rain.

Me too. I love the sound of rain, It kinda makes me wish I still smoke tobacco, I would love to go outside and smoke a cigarette,

Man, I'm reading this great book now, Composed by Rosanne Cash. It's a memoir. She's talking about her childhood and it's fascinating to me. It's so weird, man, I see these connections between our fathers. She talks about her father making her a list of 100 songs she should know.
Me, I realize I got my father's music, these records of Ray Price and Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams. Always Hank Williams.

Anyway, it's a really good book.

And it's a rainy day, which is great for reading.

Hey, you know -- I'm changing the subject here --

Fine with me.

That so funny that you talked about being young. Because I feel young. I, like, never feel old. Ever.

You know...I feel innocent. I feel like I'm still fuckin' learning stuff.

Let me tell you what I do. When I start thinking or say "I'm old," I change it to "I'm alive." It's corny, but it can be helpful.

It is corny. But I'll probably give it a try or two, regardless.



No comments:

Post a Comment