Friday, July 8, 2011

untitled depression song


it's a chemical imbalance
it's a mental malfunction
it's a social disease
it's sad but it's true
it's a one-way drive
on a dead-end street
it's your default setting
and it thinks it's in control of you

it's Zoloft and it's Prozac
it's Effexor and Wellbutrin
it's an hour in an office
that lasts for 50 minutes
it's Elavil and Lexapro
it's clinical
it's behavioural
it's quicksand, boy,
and you're neck-deep in it

and there's nothing I want to sell you
I just I wanted to tell you
I thought somebody needed to remind you
when your brain's under assault
this is not your fault
this disease does not define you
this disease does not define you
What's the title of this, farmboy?

I don't have a title yet. This is, really, the very start and I'm not sure where it's going. I think I'm going to let it, well, percolate for a little while.

Like an old-fashioned coffee pot.

Yeah. I used to be more of a French press guy -- you know, just force those fuckin' songs out. But I don't know about that. It's hard, you know, 'cause any kind of writing is good. But forcing yourself...well, I just don't know. I mean, you might discover something good by forcing it. But you could be stifling yourself and your...subconscious too.

So, to answer your question: there's no title. So we'll just call this untitled depression song. That should work for right now.

This process of writing songs -- You may be too close to notice this, but the songwriting process is pretty interesting. Creativity is fascinating.

Creativity is all a mystery to me. But I think part of it may be that you write -- I write what I need to write. It's functional. I mean, I'm trying to figure something out and it seems like songwriting is my way of going about it.

I guess. Maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment