Friday, September 9, 2011

On the cutting room floor


all I want is a peaceful life
with space to stretch and room to breathe
where fresh fruit and vegetables
are not forbidden luxuries
where I can watch my children play
without the fear that one will stray
a good home for my kids and wife
all I want is a peaceful life

all I need is a bench to sit
a front porch to watch the setting sun
a glass of wine and a hand to hold
when the hard work of the day is done
where we can watch the girls and boys
make their fair share of joyful noise
no sound of guns
no siren cries
all I need is a peaceful life

all I want is somewhere to be safe
all I need is a little faith

all I want is hope for a better day
each night I lie in bed and pray

all I want is a peaceful life
to rest these weary bones at night
to forget about the rent and bills
or groceries when money's tight
a job to go most every day
where I can make a decent wage
where hope is not an empty lie
all I want is a peaceful life
I know it's here
just out of sight

So here's the latest rewrite on "A Peaceful Life."

I see. You chopped quite a bit out of it. Not that that's a bad thing.

No, it's not. I sort of combined two verses into one. I may take out that second bridge. We'll see. The song may have more changes to come. We'll see about that too.

Is it painful to cut, farmboy?

(laughs) I feel like we're in the cutting room, making a movie. And you know all sorts of stuff ends up on the cutting room floor. Editing, man, that's important.

There was only one line that I cut that hurt. But, man, it fuckin' killed me, you know?

And the line was...?

No sounds of guns, no siren cries

Oh, yes. I liked that line.

Yeah, me too. Plus, it's a line that I rewrote. It's slightly different than the one I showed you before.

It fuckin' killed me, man. But I wanted the "empty lie" line. I like the "guns" line because it's visual and it gives you an idea of where this man and his family live. But "Where hope is not an empty lie," well, that's an emotional line.

But, who knows? The "gun" line may go back in at some point. We'll see, man.



No comments:

Post a Comment