Friday, June 3, 2011

Fast on your feet


How did the performance go, farmboy?

Went well, got a real good response. The writers-in-the-round was challenging, in a good way. I love doing these in-the-round gigs, you know. They are so fuckin' cool.

So I ended up sitting by a friend of mine who is a dynamic blues singer and guitarist and songwriter, so that meant that I had to do some thinking 'cause I was following her. And that's challenging and that's good for me. You gotta think fast on your feet, and I like that, I like that improv element of it.

And then me and her -- Anne, that's my friend's name -- we played off each other. It's funny, you know; I met her at the Kerrville Folk Festival in the hill country in Texas in 19 fuckin' 87. Then I move here in 2006 and discovered she lived here and was singing and teaching and all kinds of stuff. She's fuckin' amazing.

Sounds like a good night.

Man, it was so good to see my music friends and play and be appreciated. I need to do a lot more of that kind of stuff.

You'll get your chance in just a couple of weeks, farmboy.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to it. I hope I'll have a better handle on the money and job situation by then. Fuck, I hate to go back to...I guess it's more than poverty. It's how everything is so fuckin' uncertain. And feeling helpless and feeling that there's nothing I can do. I hate not having insurance. You know, I have type 2 diabetes, right?

I didn't know that. No wonder health insurance is important to you.

This fuckin' country, man, this fuckin' health care we have here. Or lack of health care. But that's a whole other topic and it's late.

Talk with me this weekend, farmboy?

You betcha, man.



No comments:

Post a Comment