Monday, June 27, 2011

Try to enjoy the process


'Morning, man.

Good morning. This is unusual, farmboy. I don't know if I've ever talked to you in the morning.

Sure you have. Two in the morning, three in the morning...

You know what I mean. What's up?

So it's Monday morning, and I'm not sure what to do.

I can help you, farmboy. Let's take this -- for right now, at least -- on a weekly basis. What do you need to get accomplished this week?

I have stuff in three categories: gig stuff, creative stuff, and that Kickstarter stuff so I can make a CD. This is all pretty overwhelming, I gotta say, especially with all the work shit going on. Which is not part of this, by the way. This is all about music and economics. Not the fuckin' day job. That's an entirely different thing.

Good choice. Let's start with what you need to do gig-wise.

I want to apply at some churches. I need some money gigs and I'm good at that stuff.

What do you need?

I need to give out some promo materials to them. So this week I need to make those up.

Which consists of...

CDs, which I have already burned. I need to buy a sharpie and find CD envelopes to put the discs in. Then I put a CD and my one-sheet bio in a Manila envelope with a short cover letter. The bio is done and copied...

So you need to buy a sharpie...

So I can put my information on the CD.

Okay. Here we go. (The interviewer takes out a sheet of paper and starts writing.)

1. Buy sharpie

2. Label CDs and put them in sleeves

3. Write cover letter

4. Place cover letter, CD, and bio in an envelope

5. Take or send to places

6. Repeat as necessary.

(hands paper to farmboy)

See? That was relatively painless.

Wow! Thanks!

Now Kickstarter...

I have to do some research. I need to look at some videos. I need a timeline on what I'm doing with it. I need to find out levels of premiums, and set up a meeting with a friend who just went through the process. I also need to talk to another friend who's going to assist me with doing a video that I can put online. I also need to ask myself: What makes my project stand apart from all the others?

Okay, farmboy. This week: make the appointments with your friends. Watch, say, at least two videos on the Kickstarter website. Do brainstorming, and maybe do this on paper or on the computer, on premiums and on what makes your project special. Also brainstorm on ideas for the video. So here we go, farmboy.

1. Watch and analyze videos from Kickstarter

2. Call your friends and set up appointments

3. Brainstorm
a) premiums
b) video
c) make your project unique

4. Research how others have done it. Google, look at Kickstarter website

All right. that should be good for this week. Let's move on to the creative part.

The fun part.

The most important part. Never, never lose sight of that. Without the creative part all the rest is meaningless.

That's what I like to hear. I like the way you think, man.

So what do you have for the creative side of music?

Let me look at my notes...

Notes?

When I went to that training last week, I did some preliminary work. That's why I haven't had to think too much this morning. It's your tax dollars at work.

So this is what I have. Let me try your organizing stuff.

Go for it.

1) Keep playing and practicing, especially the material for the CD

2) Make lyric pages on computer so they'll be ready for rewriting. Put them in a folder and keep it on the desktop.

3) Using Garage Band, record every day. I need to lose my fear of technology and recording -- that's why I need to do it every day or as often as possible.

4) Check out Garage Band book from library or buy one. Do research on internet on using Garage Band.

5) Play with album sequencing

6) Look at the financial reality (which is not as intimidating as it sounds) -- make estimates of costs, for musicians, recording, manufacturing.

7) For the future: timelines for recording, check out recording studios online. Other things will occur to me as I go on in the process.

Which reminds me. I need to at least try to enjoy the process.

Very good, farmboy. I would like to talk with you about the progress you're making at various times during the week.

I'd like to talk to you, too. 'Cause I'm sure things will change, and I can have a problem with being too rigid sometimes, you know? That and self-pity.

I think fear and discouragement are factors you have to look at. And bitterness and negativity. Explore what's behind the so-called "self-pity."

Talk with you tomorrow?

Yeah, that'll be great, man.

You're doing good, farmboy. Don't get discouraged. Don't let yourself feel guilty. Don'tlet yourself get into what you call self-pity or depression. And notice the difference between the two. Everything is a learning experience, a teachable moment.

Believe in yourself. Believe in what you're doing. And remember a couple of things...

What's that?

You are smart and talented and gifted.

Thanks, man. Thanks for everything.

Talk with you tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment