Monday, January 28, 2013

you won't remember me/rewrite 4


you don't know my name
who I am
or what I do
I'm just a victim
on the network news
you've maybe seen my face
on the screen of your TV
you won't remember me

It doesn't matter where
some stranger with a plan
strength in his conviction
shotgun in his hand
finger on the trigger
pointed aimlessly
you won't remember me

I never will grow older
the future I won't see
never fall in love
or raise a family
I will only be a whisper
an aborted memory
you won't remember me

at the elementary school
at your local shopping mall
at Virginia Tech
Red Lake Band of Chippewa
at the movies in Aurora
Columbine
Littleton
and the list continues
on and on and on and on


and you don't know my name
or when I was alive
a silent echo
that did not survive
I'll barely be a footnote
on the edge of history
you won't remember me
you won't remember me
you won't remember...


No comments:

Post a Comment