Sunday, February 21, 2010

Where the new boundaries are


Oh, man, I'm depressed.

What's wrong, farmboy?

I've got to go to work tomorrow. I need more weekend in my weekend.

Hey, can I ask you something?

Of course.

I can be honest, right?

Right.

(quietly) How come you don't like me no more?

(startled) What?

Hey...you used to joke with me and we went back and forth a little and we had fun. I could insult you and you'd insult me back. I mean, this interview thing was fun, but lately you're, like, real distanced, kinda formal. you know?

(sighs) I was worried when I played that trick on you and I thought maybe I lost your trust. And that's not supposed to be part of the interview. So I'm working on where the new boundaries are.

So, maybe you still like me?

That you don't have to worry about.

Are you sure you're not a therapist?

I'm not a therapist.

What are you?

I'm a journalist. This is an interview. I ask questions. There are some things you shouldn't know the answer to. Yet.

What the fuck are you fuckin' talking about?

Oh, there's the farmboy I know. Language...

I got so many questions for you...

Yeah. Too bad that's not my job. I'm an interviewer, a journalist...

Like Terri Gross? You could be on NPR, man.

Sort of like that. I really just want you to trust me while I ask you some questions for awhile. You could try to enjoy this...

I do enjoy this.

If I'm going somewhere you feel uncomfortable with, just tell me and I'll stop. Here, we can have a code word: seriously. As in: "Tell me about your childhood." "I'm not gonna talk about my fuckin' childhood!" "No, I want you to tell me about your childhood." "Fuck off. Seriously."

Seriously? I can live with that.

Okay. Trust me?

I like you. You're my friend. But I don't trust nobody.

No comments:

Post a Comment