Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Yeah, okay, but not now, okay?


If it's okay with you, can we keep things light?

Of course.

Uhhh...now I don't know what to say.

Do you feel awkward?

Yeah, a little bit. I recover slowly from emotional stuff, especially stuff that's kinda confrontational.

Man, the more I try to get away from talkin' about stuff, the more it keeps comin' up. I need a fuckin' rest, man. I wished I liked sports or stupid comedies or mystery novels. I wouldn't mind escaping for awhile.

So take a little vacation.

I can't. I have to work, plus I can't afford to go anywhere.

I didn't mean a literal vacation...

Oh.

I guess there's reading, and I guess there's sleep. I just got this book from the library called Outliers. It's by this Malcolm Gladwell dude. I think he might be one of those really brainy guys, but that might be just because he's named Malcolm Gladwell.

I just finished this other book The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter, who lives in Spokane, Washington. I think I trust a writer more if he lives in a city like Spokane, Washington. Man, it was a great book. I really didn't want it to end, plus the main character, he's, like, a pothead like me.

So about marijuana, do you think you might be smoking a bit too much...

No, I don't want to look at that sort of stuff right now. I need to escape, remember?

You're right. So you've been reading...

Yeah. I like reading, if I can get into the book. (laughs) It really helps with lyric writing, I think.

What about poetry?

Man, I just can't get into most of it. I'm a song guy, myself. I like to have the melody and rhythm. And I know poetry has melody and rhythm, but...y'know, I think I'm probably just not smart enough for poetry.

You just can't talk without putting yourself down, can you?

Uhhh, remember, keep it light?

I would like to talk about that sometime. You putting yourself down.

Yeah, okay, but not now, okay?

Okay.

Okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment