Monday, May 17, 2010

That big ol' blue sky


Well, this is different. A phone call.

Yeah, well, I'm at my brother's house. I'm staying with his daughter -- my niece -- tomorrow. It should be fun. I did this last week. My niece is a sweetheart, to be sure.

How've you been feeling?

I've been going to work and stuff, but I'm actually still sick. But I'm not as sick as I was, so that's good.

There's been some improvement, then.

Oh yeah. The main thing now is my throat, which hurts like a fuckin' sonovabitch. I've been gargling with salt water, drinking tea with lemon and honey, all the stuff you should do. And there has been improvement. It's just that if you're talking all day and you're going outside and you're not getting the good rest you need -- even though that, too, has improved -- your throat's gonna suffer. But, I'll tell you, man, I'm so fuckin' tired of not feeling any good.

Are you sleeping over at your brother's?

I'm sleeping over because he has to go to work early.

How old is your niece?

She'll be four in a few months.

Great age.

Yeah, she's pretty wonderful. We're probably gonna go hear some children's music tomorrow and do some other stuff. We'll figure it out as we go along, I guess. Maybe we'll go to the movies or something. Maybe we'll go visit work. (laughs)

Work? Why would you go there?

To show her off, basically. I'm very proud of her, and I just think she's great. She's so smart and so talented and she so much happier than I remember being. Though I do remember some good times.

Like?

Like looking up into that big ol' blue sky and thinking about how high it was up there, and how it kept on going. Like the magic of melodies and rhythms. Like drives out in the country. Man, I miss being in nature.

You have a truck. Go camping.

I might just do that this summer. I really gotta get out of this city. I mean, I like it and all, but I want to see nature and I want to see the ocean.

When do you get off?

One more month of school, that's what I've got. Then I play music and hopefully I won't have to worry about money as much as I did last summer.

One more month...

Oh, man, I can't wait. I'm thinking about the things I can do if I work hard and take chances,,,

Traveling? Recording a CD? Performing?

All that stuff. And I look at it and I think, yeah, I really need to do this stuff so I can make some money and live life with a little more adventure.

Adventure is a good thing...

Yeah, but there's all that fear and worry that go along with it. And I'll have to deal with it.

You'll do fine, farmboy.

Thanks. I need to hear that. Man, I hate living a life defined by fuckin' fear.

As you should. You're more adventurous than that, and you know it.

I know! Man, I'm looking forward to this summer. Being outside...

Playing music...

Eating watermelon...

One more month...

And I'll be there, man. With my guitar and my imagination.

Looking up at the sky...

And, man, look how high it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment