Sunday, May 30, 2010

This is why I was born


You know what I've been thinking about lately?

No. Hey, what have you been thinking about lately?

I've been thinking that this writing songs thing, it can conquer all. I mean, like, even when you die your recordings remain for awhile. This songwriting thing, you know, it's a pretty good thing to be gifted in. I hope God knows I appreciate it.

I'm sure God knows. That's a pretty good observation.

Thanks. I'm proud of it.

You know what I'm looking forward to?

No. What are you looking forward to?

Sleeping in just my shorts with the window open and the blue sky above. Watermelon and nectarines. I'm looking forward to summer.

It's almost here, farmboy.

About fuckin' time, Hey, back to songwriting...I've decided that I always want to be working on a song now. I think I'm happier, I think I know my own purpose on this here planet when I'm working on a song. You know, when I'm just walkin' around and I cant get it out of my head and I keep going over the lyrics and I'm working out the guitar arrangement and...

There's a lot involved.

Oh, man, is there ever. But it's the best fuckin' thing ever.

You're certainly good at it.

Really? You think so?

I do. What do you think?

Um...I'm not sure what I think. I mean, I would think that every writer who's any good believes in what he or she is doing.

Do you think they're good songs?

Well, they're the best I can do. Or they're pretty close to the best I can do.

But do you think that they are good songs?

(quietly) Yeah. Yes I do.

See? That wasn't that hard, was it?

Well, yeah, it was hard.

It gets easier with practice.

I don't know. I'm not comfortable saying to people "Listen, I write great fuckin' songs."

You don't have to say it to anyone. I just want you to know that you write good songs.

Okay. I see. I do know that I write good songs. I know it in my heart.

Really?

Yeah. That's what kinda makes things hard sometimes. For most things in my life I think I'm a piece of shit. And then there's these songs, and not only do I believe in them, I'm also fairly confident that they're good. And confident is not a word I associate with myself.

But you're confident in your songwriting?

Yeah. I'm confused about everything else, but I'm sure of my songwriting ability. This is why I was born.

Wow, farmboy. This is great to hear.

Do you want to know what I've been thinking?

Okay, what have you been thinking?

This belief you have in your songs -- it's a good foundation.

Foundation to what?

To whatever you want it to be.

I knew you'd say that. You can never let things be easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment