Sunday, July 24, 2016

How I spent spring break 10: Stranger in a strange land


I'm trying to find new words for the experience I went through. It can be tough. I could call the whole mess The Accident, but it seems a touch melodramatic. As in: I loved doing ________, but I ain't worth a damn thing since The Accident.

I do have some words, though. Surreal is number one. It's so strange how life can change in just a few seconds. You're suddenly thrust into this whole other world where the people you know -- friends, family, and coworkers -- are cameo appearances. You're with all these other people. You're dependent on those other people. It's all different. It's like a dream world.

Word number two: Confusing. As I just told you, it's all like a dream. And what that means is sometimes you don't know what to do; in fact, sometimes you don't even know what's really happening. A lot of control has been taken away from you. You're a stranger in a strange land. And you don't know where the fuck you are.

And now for word number three: Challenging. Everything is difficult and seems impossible until you figure out ways to do stuff. And you will figure out ways. After a while it can even seem like a little game. Be proud of yourself: You're going to be learning a lot of new skills. You're going to be working that noggin of yours.

There's more words yet to come. I'll keep you posted as the news progresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment