Monday, July 4, 2016

I hungered to play the piano


It's the fourth of July and I'm listening to this great program on the radio about Eubie Blake. This music is fuckin' amazing, man! I love that piano. Man, I coulda been one hell of a pianist if I had had access to a piano when I was a kid. I hungered to play the piano.

But you eventually learned, right, farmboy?

I did, when I was fourteen. I put guitar chords to the piano.

I remember the day we got the piano. My father and my uncles moved this piano, this old big black upright, and before it even got inside I was playing it. I remember just walking up to the piano and sitting down and playing it without a word. It was like it was meant to be, like it was the most natural thing in the world. It was like having a dream come true. It was fuckin' awesome, man.

Sounds pretty wonderful, farmboy.

It was...I have no words. I just thank God it happened. Fuckin' changed my life, man.


No comments:

Post a Comment