Wednesday, July 13, 2016

How I spent spring break 7: Not an impossible dream


I'm gonna see my counselor in a couple days, man. Friday, to be exact. 10 a.m. I'm getting a ride from this place my physical therapist turned me on to called Ride Connections. There are a lot of good people out there, man, all these volunteers and medical professionals and, well, just the staffs in general. But I digress.

I don't think of you as someone who would say things like "but I digress," farmboy.

You know, I wasn't even conscious that I was saying it when it came out. It is pretty fuckin' stupid, ain't it?

But, anyway, I'm gonna go see my counselor on Friday morning. I'm looking really forward to it. I've needed to talk to him about this whole accident and recovery thing for a while now.

Have you thought about what you're going to discuss with him?

Yeah. I'm gonna tell him about how there better be a reason for all that's happened. I can give it a reason. It's about me gaining possession of my own life, my own future. 

I was thinking about this thing I heard on the radio about this elderly woman who was trapped on a floating mattress during hurricane Katrina. All the time she was floating she thought about how she was going to furnish and design her living room after the flood was over. I think it was on This American Life.

That sounds like something that would be on that show.

So that's kind of been my situation in a way. The whole time I'm in rehab I'm fuckin' planning my future. And that can't be in vain. My life is not an impossible dream. The worst fuckin' thing that could happen would be for me to go back to the same old fuckin' life I had before the accident.

I totally agree, farmboy.

I want him to help me. I want you to help me too. I need you guys to witness. There are times when I'm gonna lose hope, and I'm gonna need you two to remember who I really am when I can't remember myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment