Tuesday, July 19, 2016

How I spent spring break 9: The giant shoehorn


Today I left my apartment, jaywalked across the street, and got on a city bus. First I went to the head shop -- is that what they're called? -- and bought a pipe, pipe cleaners and screens. Then I crossed the street and went to Walgreens to pick up some prescriptions. Then I got on the bus and came home. I hobbled up a couple of stairs and entered my apartment by pushing my left foot up and pulling myself using a window sill.

All of that was impossible five months ago. Thanks to wonderful and caring physical and occupational therapists, an amazing surgeon, and nurses and CNAs and other hospital staff I can be independent. And I can buy pipes and pipe cleaners and screens.

Today is a good day.

Of course, my recovery is far from over. I don't know the fate of my job or, really, the future. Plus, well...I didn't mention it, but I did all that bus stuff using a walker. Which is just fine for right now. I love my walker.

And I love my cane, and my shower bench, and my grabber, and even the giant shoehorn. I love all those new skills that help me to do things for myself. 

So today I did a new thing, or at least I did something I couldn't do for awhile. I'm doing stuff like that damn near every day. It's gotten to the point where I almost don't notice. Almost.

Believe me, I'm not congratulating myself. I just feel so grateful. It's kinda corny, I know, but that's okay.

Now let's see what the rest of the week will bring. And the month, and the year. And everything after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment