Friday, April 9, 2010

Didn't have to be alone


How are you doing? It's good to see you.

Listen, man, this is serious bad stuff.

What's that?

You know the music place that I go out to sometimes? I mean, it's basically the only place I hang out at.

You don't usually hang out much with friends.

This...this was the one place I hung out at. It's closing.

It's been on shaky ground for a while, financially speaking. And I knew there was a chance this would happen. But it was still this major, major shock.

What happened was I went there tonight and one of the owners gave me a couple of sheets of paper for me to read. That's how I found out. It was so nice of him to let me know like that. If I had just read it in an e-mail or something, I would have been more devastated. And even more, I wasn't alone.

That's the worst thing, I think, to be alone when devastating things happen to you. That's just so fuckin' awful.

So, anyway, I was upset and went to the restroom and stayed there for, like, a half-hour, then I went back and I was going to leave...this friend of mine was there and we went into the back room to talk and then other people came in and I was kinda crying. There was like tears and my nose was running and, man...people was hugging me (starts to cry)...fuck, man, see, it's like I run on two separate emotions when bad shit happens. I'm either filled with murderous rage or I turn into a five year old. Which is what happened here. I mean, I felt physically like a little kid. And -- thank you Jesus, and I mean that seriously -- my friends were hugging me and I am so grateful that I didn't have to be alone. That would have hurt me more than anything.

I could say all kinds of things, but I don't think I need to. Except I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. Because you're going to be doing some grieving. It is like losing a loved one.

A little death.

And you'll need to grieve it. But you know that all your friends still remain. That's really what this is all about, your friends.

I know.

You know, after all this time, I'm hearing you talk about friends, people you're connected to emotionally. It's nice. You talk about not trusting your own species and I know how much you need solitude. But from what you're saying, it sounds like these people -- these friends, these fellow human beings -- really love you.

(softly) They do. (pauses) There's a lot of people who love me.

I know. I'm one of them.

(starts to cry) Fuck, man, I'm so fuckin' sensitive.

Farmboy, it's okay. Go ahead and cry.

Fuck, man, I felt so hopeless when I was hangin' out in the restroom there, all by myself. But then I went back in and I didn't have to be alone. I didn't have to be alone.

No you didn't. You were with your friends. Who love you.

And I love them.

Welcome to the human race, farmboy. You're capable of love. And also being loved.

Man, am I gonna be tired.

Emotions are exhausting.

Dude, you said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment